As motherhood looms, I intend to create and post kick-ass recipes for as long as Little One will allow. It’s a she, by the way – another warrior-sister conscripted into my army of 5 amazing sisters and one niece.
I plan on posting about food events, recipes and cool, new kitchen stuff. Bear with me as I get back into the swing of things. I have the most absurd cravings! Dried Mango’s at the top of the list.
To mark my return, I bequeath you this simple North African meatball recipe. It’s gluten free, uses carrots instead of eggs, and the almonds add a nutty flavour that’s sure to warrant second servings. Serve it as a side dish with coucous.
If you’re like me, you’ve missed the soft rays of sunshine on your face and the long days outside with friends and family. Let’s welcome summer with a bang and get cooking. I can’t wait to share my new creations and introduce you to my bambino.
Almond Encrusted North African Meatballs / Red Pepper Yoghurt Sauce
Meatball Recipe (Recipe serves 6)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ground/ chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spread one tablespoon of olive oil on foil paper tin / baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix beef, garam masala, red onions, carrots, salt and pepper (you can let it marinate overnight if you wish).
- Scoop a portion of the mixture with a tablespoon and make even balls, then roll them in the ground almonds until evenly coated and place them in the foil tin/ baking dish and in the oven.
- Turn meatballs after 15 minutes to brown them on the other side. 15 minutes later, they are ready to serve!Yoghurt Pepper Sauce
- 2 cups plain greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or more if you’d like a little more heat)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix yoghurt, honey and lemon juice, add red pepper flakes and refrigerate for half an hour. This allows all the flavours to meld and granish with additonal red pepper and parsley when you are ready to serve.