The word SUPER comes to mind when referring to the grain Farro. Primarily because of its outstanding health benefits as well as it’s distinct chewy and nutty flavour. High in fiber, low carb, sky rocketing vitamin & magnesium content; as well as it’s tolerable gluten structure make it ideal for consumption.
Farro compliments fish dishes extra ordinarily. I prepared this for friends and accompanied it with my famous African Curried Fish (recipe on the blog later this week). Vegetarians can add more mushrooms and kale, making it the perfect vegetarian meal.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 4 cups of cooked Farro
- 6 bunches of Kale (refer to image above)
- 4 cups of diced shiitake mushrooms (2lbs)
- 2 cups of carrots
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1/2 a lemon
- 4 garlic cloves (shredded finely)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter (preferably vegan – Earth balance organic buttery spread)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt & ground black pepperNote : It is important to remove the kale leaves from their stalks before chopping. Leaving the stalks on while you chop will render a bitter taste – not yummy at all
Pearled Farro is best because it doesn’t need to be soaked beforehand; whereas hulled Farro (hull : drier outer coating of seed or grain – the husk) is whole and requires soaking. For this recipe, cook Farro , following packaged directions and set aside while assembling the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat oil and butter, add garlic and carrots
- Saute on high, turning frequently for 5 minutes until carrots brown
- Add diced shiitake mushrooms, saute on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add Kale, cover and once shrinkage occurs, turn for another 5 minutes
- Juice the lemon beforehand or squeeze into the pot while it cooks and turn off heat.
- Farro is then added, cover and allow flavours to meld for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add scallions and serve while hot.Pass me a fork please – enjoy!