Lazy Sundays call for an equally lazy brunch. Vanilla french toast with a grapefruit mimosa takes mere minutes to make and score marks for being packed with flavour.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 slices gluten free bread ( or any bread you have on hand)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter (divide into two parts)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs, pinch of salt, vanilla extract, milk
- Preheat oven to warm at 170 degrees
- Dip bread into mixture, let it soak for 15 seconds on each side
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon of butter in a nonstick pan, place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining slices and place in baking pan and in the oven to keep warm.
Ingredients for Grapefruit Mimosa (serves 2)
- 1 Grapefruit
- 2 flute glasses
- Chill glasses in freezer
- Section grapefruit in half and juice each for a flute
- Pour half the prosecco in glasses
- Top with grapefruit juice
Serve french toast immediately with fruit or whipped cream, I love it with bananas. Drizzle lightly with maple syrup. My go-to maple syrup is Butternut Mountain Farm Vermont Pure Maple Syrup, you can get it at Whole Foods. Any other Pure Maple Syrup brand will be a great substitute.
Happy Sunday everyone – Bon Appétit!